1) In a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat, add Butter, Brown Sugar, Molasses and half of the Milk. Gently bring it to a simmer.
2) Add Citrus Peel, Chopped Raisins, Chopped Apricot to the pot and mix.
3) Zest the Orange and grate in the ginger with a Microplane into the pan.
4) Add the mixed spices (1 tsp Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, 1/4 tsp Clove, 1/4 tsp Star Anise)
5) Heat this mixture to a gentle boil for about 1 minute. Then take off the heat and add chopped Pecans/Walnuts.
6) Add Almond Meal, Vanilla Extract and mix.
7) Add the remaining Milk, Vinegar and Baking Soda into the pan. Fold well.
8) Add All-Purpose Flour and fold well.
9) Pour into a prepared 8″ or two 6″ round or 9″x4″ loaf baking pans. And bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 50-60 mins. Or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
10) At the 45 minute mark, if your cake is turning too brown from the top, cover it with an Aluminium foil and keep baking.
11) Serve warm with a slight dusting of icing sugar in the top!
You can easily make this Vegan by using Vegan Butter and Vegan Milk or Water to replace milk.