Hey Everyone! Before the berries go off season, make this yummy fruit sauce and store it in your fridge. It can be used in multiple ways. As filling for your cakes/cupcakes, topping for ice-creams, swooshed across a slice of bread, frosting or just for licking away from a spoon.
It’s fruity, sweet and a little tart.
1) Strawberry- 400g (roughly chopped)
2) Cherry-250g (de-seeded)
3) Black Grape- 250g (roughly chopped)
4) Green Grape- 250g (roughly chopped)
5) Any other berries of your choice
7) Sugar- 150g/ 500g of fruit (can be less/more according to taste)
8) Salt- 1 tsp
9) Cinnamon- 1 medium sized stick
10) Star Anise- 2
11) Lemon- 1
1. In a deep saucepan on high heat, pour in 500 ml water
2. When it starts bubbling, add the fruits & lemon zest and let it cook on simmer for 1 hour, occasionally stirring. Check if it requires more water and add accordingly
3. Meanwhile, in a mixer add the sugar along with cinnamon & star anise, blend it till it becomes totally combined and powdery in texture
4. Pass the sugar-spice powder through a sieve to get rid of any pieces of spice that did not grind. Keep aside
5. When the fruit pulp is totally mushy and cooked, remove it from heat and pass it through a sieve. Push out as much fruit as you can with the help of a spatula. This might take some time. All you should be left with on the sieve are the seeds and peel (if any)
6. Now, get the sieved fruit onto the stove again. Add the sugar-spice powder and keep stirring until combined.
7. Make sure that the fruit sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan
8. After a while, when the sauce thickens (or reaches your desired consistency), remove from heat and add lemon juice.
9. Let the mixture cool completely
10. Put it in a sterilized jar and refrigerate.