The story behind these-
Decided to make some cupcakes for his birthday at midnight. Didn’t have eggs at home. Didn’t have butter/cream for frosting. Was wondering what to do when I saw the jar of desiccated coconut in my kitchen! And I got cracking!
They tasted divine! Really good recipe for chcolate and coffee lovers. Also might go very well with whiskey/rum whipped cream frosting.
1) Plain Flour (Maida)- 200g
2) Powdered Sugar- 300g
3) Cocoa Powder- 3 heaped tbsp.
4) Baking powder- 2 tsp
5) Vanilla/Butterscotch extract- 1 tsp
6) Butter/Ghee- 10 tbsp
7) Salt- ½ tsp
8) Milk- 1 ½ cups (Or as required)
9) Instant Coffee powder- 2 heaped tbsp. (or more) Or Filter Coffee decoction- 5 tbsp
10) Hot water- 2 tbsp (for dissolving coffee powder to make a paste)
Topping (I am not giving measurement for this, since you can make your own topping according to taste)-
1) Coconut shaving/ Desiccated Coconut
2) Dark/Milk Cooking Chocolate chips/block
4) Powdered Sugar
5) Instant Coffee powder/ Filter Coffee Decoction
6) Confetti/ Sugar candy
7) Food coloring (optional- of your choice)
1. Line your cupcake mold with cupcake liners and keep aside
2. Pre-heat oven to 200 Degree C
3. In a large bowl, sift in flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and sugar
4. In a separate bowl add soft butter, vanilla extract, coffee paste/decoction and milk (1 cup first) to form a batter
5. Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet batter with a light hand to incorporate air
6. Add rest of the milk 1 tbsp at a time to adjust the consistency
7. The batter of should be somewhere between a thick egg batter and a thin brownie batter. Semi liquid is what you have to look for
8. Divide the batter into the cupcake mold and bake at 180 degree C until it is fully cooked (about 15-20 mins, or according to your oven)
9. In case you use the microwave oven, bake for 4 mins in high combination mode
10. Let it cool completely before adding the topping
1. In a heat proof bowl, melt the cooking chocolate
2. Add in desiccated coconut, little milk, coffee powder, sugar and mix to form a dough. Adjust the ingredients according to taste. Use this as the brown part of your decoration
3. In a separate bowl, mix together coconut, milk and sugar. Use this as the white part of your decoration
4. Add some food color to the white coconut mixture to get a colored topping for decoration
5. Use the above, along with nuts, candies etc. to make your own version of toppings. Get creative with this!
Enjoy these delicious yummies!
Tip- Tastes even better when it is warm. You can also add some liquor of your choice to the topping mixtures/ frosting, goes very well with the coffee flavor of the cupcakes.