- Garlic – 1 large piece or 2 small pieces
- Black Peppercorns – 4-5 or adjust to taste
- Italian Basil – 500g
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 60-80 ml
- Pine Nuts / Almonds – 60g
- Parmigiano Reggiano / Peconiro Romano / Parmesan Cheese – 1 cup grated
- Lime Juice – 1/2 a small lime
- Salt – 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Honey / Sugar – 1 tbsp or to taste
- Crush Garlic and Black Peppercorns with a mortar and pestle.
- Add washed and dried Italian Basil a little at a time and grind. Add a bit of olive oil as you crush.
- Add nuts and grind. If you want your nuts to be very fine, grind it with the garlic and pepper. If you like it chunky like mine, add it after the basil and olive oil.
- Add grated cheese (anyone that is given in the list)
- Add Lemon Juice, Salt and Honey. Mix it in and taste. Make any adjustments according to your liking.
- Store in an airtight jar inside the fridge for up to a week.
Note – if you want to store this for longer, you have to make sure your basil is absolutely dry before grinding and add 120-150g Olive oil instead of the amount used in this recipe.
Both of this will ensure a longer shelf life.